Ph.D. Biological and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, 2012
M.S. Hydraulic Engineering, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, 2004
B.S. Civil Engineering, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia, 2001
Visiting Scie.: International Water Management Institute, 08/2016 to 01/2017
Dean Faculty of Civil & Water Resources Engineering, BDU., 2013-2016
Deputy Dean Research and Publication Office of BDU Inst. of Tech. 2012- 2013
Assistant Prof.:Faculty of Civil and Water Resources Engineering, BDU,2012-2016
Research Ass.: Department of Bio. and Env. Engineering, Cornell University, 2009-2013
Head, Civil Engineering Department, BDU, 2008-2009
Head, Water Resources Engineering Department, BDU, 2005- 2007
Lecturer,Department of Civil and Water Resources, BDU, 2001-2013
My research interest has been on rainfall-runoff processes, irrigation and water productivity, sustainability of water supply, soil erosion and sediment transport, non-point source pollution and water quality, and soil and water conservation. With the help of MSc and PhD students, I have been actively involved on research and modeling better ways to manage water in surface and ground water particularly in the Blue Nile Basin.
Membership of professional services
A member of Ethiopian Young Academy of Science since Feb 2015
A member of Ethiopian Association of Civil Engineering since Oct 2015
Publications/presentation (2005 TO PRESENT)
H-index of 18 in Google scholar.
1. Assefa, T., Jha, M., Reyes, M., Tilahun, S. and Worqlul, A.W., 2019. Experimental Evaluation of Conservation Agriculture with Drip Irrigation for Water Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa. Water, 11(3), p.530.
2. Abera Beyene, A., Verhoest, N.E., Tilahun, S., Alamirew, T., Adgo, E. and Nyssen, J., 2019. Irrigation efficiency and shallow groundwater in anisotropic floodplain soils near Lake Tana, Ethiopia. Irrigation and Drainage.
3. Ochoa‐Tocachi, B.F., Alemie, T.C., Guzman, C.D., Tilahun, S.A., Zimale, F.A., Buytaert, W. and Steenhuis, T.S., 2019. Sensitivity analysis of the parameter‐efficient distributed (PED) model for discharge and sediment concentration estimation in degraded humid landscapes. Land Degradation & Development, 30(2), pp.151-165.
4. Mhiret, D.A., Dagnew, D.C., Assefa, T.T., Tilahun, S.A., Zaitchik, B.F. and Steenhuis, T.S., 2018. Erosion hotspot identification in the sub-humid Ethiopian highlands. Ecohydrology & Hydrobiology.
5. Walker, D., Parkin, G., Schmitter, P., Gowing, J., Tilahun, S.A., Haile, A.T. and Yimam, A.Y., 2018. Insights from a multi‐method recharge estimation comparison study. Groundwater.
6. Abera, A., Verhoest, N.E., Tilahun, S.A., Alamirew, T., Adgo, E., Moges, M.M. and Nyssen, J., 2018. Performance of small-scale irrigation schemes in Lake Tana Basin of Ethiopia: technical and socio-political attributes. Physical Geography, pp.1-25.
7. Dile, Y.T., Tekleab, S., Kaba, E.A., Gebrehiwot, S.G., Worqlul, A.W., Bayabil, H.K., Yimam, Y.T., Tilahun, S.A., Daggupati, P., Karlberg, L. and Srinivasan, R., 2018. Advances in water resources research in the Upper Blue Nile basin and the way forward: A review. Journal of Hydrology.
8. Addisie, M.B.; Langendoen, E.J.; Aynalem, D.W.; Ayele, G.K.; Tilahun, S.A.; Schmitter, P.; Mekuria, W.; Moges, M.M.; Steenhuis, T.S. Assessment of Practices for Controlling Shallow Valley-Bottom Gullies in the Sub-Humid Ethiopian Highlands. Water 2018, 10, 389.
9. Beyene, Abebech., Cornelis, W., Verhoest, N., Tilahun, Seifu Admassu., Alamirew, Tena., Adgo, Enyew., De Pue, J., Nyssen, J., 2018. Estimating the actual evapotranspiration and deep percolation in irrigated soils of a tropical floodplain, northwest Ethiopia. Agricultural Water Management, 202, 42-56
10. Zegeye AD, Langendoen EJ, Guzman CD, Dagnew DC, Tilahun SA, Steenhuis TS. 2018. Gullies, a critical link in landscape soil loss: a case study in the sub-humid highlands of Ethiopia. Land Degradation and Development. On line. DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2875.