Bachelor of Science Degree in Software Engineering
የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪበ ሶፍትዌር ምህንድስና
Nowadays, software plays a central role in almost all aspects of daily life: in government, banking and finance, education, transportation, entertainment, medicine, agriculture, and law. The number, size, and application domains of computer programs have grown dramatically; as a result, hundreds of billions are being spent on software development, and the livelihood and lives of most people depend on the effectiveness of this development. Software products have helped us to be more efficient and productive. They make us more effective problem solvers, and they provide us with an environment for work and play that is often safer, more flexible, and less confining. Software engineering is a discipline, which involves the specification, design, construction and verification of large software systems.
Although the field of Software Engineering was established more than 30 years ago, Bachelor degree programs in Software Engineering in Ethiopia came into existence in the last few years. According to the GTP (Growth and Transformation Plan) goals and strategies set by the ministry of Communication and Information Technology, the ministry emphasizes the fact that it will work extensively towards creating an enabling environment for ICT professionals to be engaged in innovation, creativity, and research activities. So that the ministry can effectively support GTP reform to ensure sustainable development, poverty eradication, human resource development, capacity development and good governance through well-developed information communication technology involvement. Hence, the faculty of computing of Bahir Dar University has opened a new program in Software Engineering aiming to produce skilled graduates in the field of Software Engineering to fill the demand of manpower in the field at national level.
The Software Engineering program was started during the 2014-2015 academic year, with a target of admitting students in the regular program from the year 2014 onwards, under the faculty of Computing. This degree program is a five year program designed for students who wish to pursue careers as professional software engineers in industry and commerce. Graduates of this program may pursue career opportunities in a variety of entry-level positions, including software developer, software programmer, application developer, Web application developer, software engineer, software applications analyst, Software Project Manager, Software Tester and Web applications analyst.
Rationale for the Program
Program learning outcome specifies the expectation of the program at the end of educational process in the department of the Software Engineering. This clearly state what our students able to perform at the end of successful completion of the course work. This mainly focuses on the achievable output unlike the intention described as part of the program aim.
- Knowledge and understanding of the essential facts, concepts, principles and theories related to Software Engineering.
- Ability to show the mastery of the software engineering knowledge and skills, and professional issues necessary to bring practice as software engineer
- Ability to work as an individual and as a part of team to develop and deliver quality software products.
- Ability to reconcile conflicting project activities, finding acceptable compromises within limitations of cost, time, knowledge, existing systems and organizations
- Ability to design appropriate solutions in one or more application domains using software engineering approaches that integrate ethical, social, legal and economic concerns.
- Ability to learn new models, techniques and technologies as they emerge and appreciate the necessity of such continuing professional development.
- Study of advanced courses from basic and preliminary courses that will make the students to understand all dimensions of the field (Software Engineering) thoroughly.
- Acquiring practical skills and knowledge in all dimensions of Software Engineering field by being involved in several group/individual projects.