Mechanical Design Chair
The Mechanical Design chair is one of the chair units established under the Faculty with the aim of decentralizing all academic activities including staff development, infrastructure development, course development and offers, research and community service activities. Staffs are also grouped within our chair as per their field of specialization and areas of interest. Mechanical design chair is also responsible for setting out development plan (for staff, infrastructure, programs, courses, and research) and execute as planned in collaboration with the faculty and institute. Currently, Mechanical design chair has three-course chairs.
Each Course chair has members, and this allows for more interactive working environment and share of ideas. In addition, better collaboration in a course offering, research activities, and community service are more easily shared.
Vision, Mission, and Goal of Mechanical Design chair
To become one of the top ten premiers Mechanical design chair Group in Africa in 2025 recognized for its practical oriented education, research, and innovative technologies.
The mission of Mechanical design chair at BiT is to contribute substantially for scientific and technological development of the nation as well as the region; through the provision of high-quality education, active engagement in research and outreach activities for the betterment of life, while offering our staff a conducive and rewarding working environment that values, recognizes and appreciates their contributions.
Deliver high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs that are responsive to the nation quality and coverage need for higher education.
Ensure a conducive environment for teaching-learning and facilities thereof that ensures students’ academic development, self-learning, market competitiveness, innovativeness, and intellectual maturity
- Improve the current services and offer new ones so as to expand and strengthen outreach activities.
- Establish and maintain a long-lasting professional (educational and research) collaboration with national and international institutions.
- Establish a national research laboratory and standardization center for mechanical design labs (Composite materials, solid mechanics, simulation, and autonomous system).
- Promote all mechanical design chair staffs in core activities, programs, achievements and contributions to increase national and international recognition.
Programs of Mechanical Design Chair at BiT
The programs under Mechanical Design Chair are designed to the needs of the 21st Century required for various sectors; like Advanced composite materials design for machineries body, light materials design for car bodies, Machineries vibration analysis, Mechanism developments (robotic mechanism), simulation and analysis, new product design and development, agro machinery design and development industries, textile industries, aviation industries etc. To graduate with the necessary skills and understanding in Mechanical Design subjects.
Currently the Mechanical Design Chairruns two undergraduate program in regular enrollment and two postgraduate programs in regular enrollment and one postgraduate programs in extension/weekend enrollment:
- B.Sc. Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Mechanical Design Focus): regular enrollment
- B.Sc. Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Agro- Machinery Focus): regular enrollment
- M.Sc. degree in Mechanical Design: regular enrollment
- M.Sc. degree in Product Design and development: extension/weekend enrollment
- Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Design: regular enrollment
Undergraduate Program: Gives B.Sc. Degree after five years of studies under regular enrollment. Due to the very broad nature of the profession of mechanical engineering, the profession has numerous areas of specialization at a global level. In the current Ethiopian context, one could specialize with Mechanical Design focus area: Taking into account the present Ethiopian industrial scenario, a new curriculum has been devised as a Broad-Based Mechanical Engineering program with a limited degree of streamlining through the introduction of elective subjects and Mechanical Design is one of the focus areas.
The Mechanical Design M.Sc. program is a two-year program under regular enrollment. The Training Objective of the Graduate Program is to provide broad-based education and training in Mechanical Engineering (with specialization in Mechanical Design) and its applications leading to a Master of Science Degree in Engineering. The specific training objectives can be summarized as follows.
To produce Graduates with full professional competence in Mechanical Engineering (with specialization in Mechanical Design) who can participate in the national development activities and to this end;
- Train manpower for higher education institutions of the country;
- Produce qualified experts and managers for industries;
- Meet the demands of the industries in terms of training and upgrading their engineers and managers.
- To provide an opportunity for the working community in the field of mechanical engineering to upgrade their knowledge to a higher level.
- To carry out research in the areas of Mechanical Design that is relevant to the needs of the Country;
- To render consultancy services to the community.
- To provide research, development, maintenance skills for products and systems.
- To engage students in high-level research through the thesis that offers optimal solutions to technical problems in the mechanical industry sectors.
- To prepare students for career opportunities in public and private services.
In Mechanical Design stream there are different laboratories
- Material science lab (UTM, Micro-Grain structure, Impact testing machine, Hardness, polishing)
- Solid mechanics lab (buckling, unsymmetrical bending, Bending, shear, deflection, curved beam, Gyroscope, whirling/vibration, Torsion etc. machines)
- Simulation lab (Auto cad, CATIA, SOLID WORK, ANSYS)