Duties and Responsibilities: The chair holder is appointed by the scientific director and accountable to Faculty Dean. The academic rank of chair holder should be associate professor and above. If the chair is not appointed by merit, he/she shall serve for the chair system for two years
and shall be responsible for:
- Serve as a key person in the generation, packaging and delivery of knowledge and skill in the Chair area;
- Organizing, Planning, implementing and monitoring the chair’s academic and research, consultancy and community service activities and Set academic and research goals for the chair system;
- Initiating and executing interdisciplinary research on various issues related to the chair system and the development of centers of excellence.Coordinate and organize MSc and PhD programs relevant for the chair.
- Assist M.Sc. and PhD students to play various roles in assisting course delivery.
- Organize, control and monitor laboratories under the chair. This includes establishing research laboratories, requesting for purchase of new equipments, preparing standard laboratory rules and regulations, preparing standard laboratory manual, preparing and maintaining documentation of maintenance and operation manuals for all equipments.
- Coordinate and monitor course guidebook, assessment and text books for courses administered under the chair;
- Assign instructors for courses administered under the chair based on the request of academic program officer.
- Ensuring that the teaching-learning process is focused on academic principles that are up to date and emphasize research and an enquiry based.
- Focusing on bridging the gap between theory and practical knowledge through strong partnerships between the academic staff, students and industrial partners.
- Autonomously administering the budget allocated by the Faculty and funds obtained from the chairs external, third-party research and community service.
- Negotiating and securing funding in addition to the budget from the institute, the university as well as potential external funding sources.
- Recruiting and selecting new staff members, counseling of new and junior staff members, carrying out necessary performance assessments and making arrangements for the professional development of all staff under the chair.
- Integrating student research and projects in order to increase their relevance and ensure that the results of such efforts benefit the stakeholder sponsors.
- Regularly conferring with members of the chair on such matters as the courses they will teach, their scheduling and the selection of textbooks and laboratory manuals.
- Periodically revising the course listings, course contents, the scheduling of courses and securing supplementary teaching materials under the chair.
- Conduct periodic and continuous impact assessment and evaluation on the performance of the chair’s teaching-learning processes;
- Recruiting and selecting new staff members, counseling of new and junior staff members, carrying out necessary performance assessments and making arrangements for the professional development of all staff.
- Allocating equitable staff workloads, taking the balance of the staff member's engagement in teaching, research, consulting, scholarly publication, committee activity and relevant off-campus activities into account.
- Organize seminars, presentations, discussions, and other sessions;
- Providing students and other educational and research customers of the faculty with up to date guidebooks and other relevant support to enhance their experience with the faculty and the services it delivers;
- Develop, administer, and correct program aptitude tests;
- Avails learning materials through soft and hard-copy
- Prepare quarterly, half year and yearly report on the teaching-learning process, research and community service of his chair system;
- Analyze evaluation report of all instructors and advisors on time.
- Undertake any other related tasks given by the dean
The following table shows the chairs and chair holders in FMIE
|No.||Chairs in FMIE||Name of chair holders||Email adress|
|1||Automotive Engineering Chair||Mr. Biresaw Belstyemail@example.com|
|2||Thermal Engineering Chair||Mr. Million Asfawfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3||Mechanical Design Chair||Mr. Ephrem Zelekeemail@example.com|
|4||Manufacturing Engineering Chair||Mr. Fetene Teshomefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|5||Production Systems Engineering Chair||Mr. Robel Nigussieemail@example.com|
|6||Industrial Design and Management Science chair||Mr. Tomas Cherkosfirstname.lastname@example.org|