Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial and Systems Engineering
Faculty of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
The program is intended to address issues related to the optimization of complex engineering systems to improve the efficiency of engineering processes and the quality of resulting products. The program emphasizes the complementary use of mathematical, computational, and heuristic approaches to solving systems problems. It is a full-time, research-based degree designed to address the growing needs of scientific and engineering professionals with advanced knowledge and abilities to conduct original and high-quality research in the area of stochastic systems and optimization, reliability, quality, and productivity, modelling and simulation, logistics and supply chain systems and overall enterprise systems engineering. The breath of applications encompasses advanced manufacturing and service systems and engineering, intelligent transportation systems, supply chain and logistics, healthcare, safety, and security.
Duration of the program
Three to Four years
Medium of Instruction
Applicants should meet the general application and admission policy of the BiT-BDU
- Candidates are expected to submit a research concept note during application and develop with the assistance of their SDAC after admission.
- MSc or equivalent degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale from a recognized institute or university in industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering or equivalent field.
- The concept note for the PhD dissertation should be approved by the advisor with the rank of associate professor or above before submission for the FGC for final approval
- Foreign applicants should lieu of sitting for entrance examination; submit results if GRE/TOEFL/IELTS or equivalent language proficiency examination if undergraduate and postgraduate program medium of instructions is not English.
- The applicant must produce a minimum of two letters of recommendation from undergraduate and postgraduate instructors, employers or professional associations.
Migibar Shibabaw, MSC.