One PhD student will be admitted to the PhD program in Electrical Engineering on a competitive basis. Employer sponsorship is strongly encouraged to apply for this post. Subsistence allowance may be available for two years at rates appropriate for Ethiopian living costs. Applications are due on 17 June, 2020. The applicants should be interested to do his/her PhD research on the area of performance and stability analysis of halide perovskite photovoltaic (PV) cells applicable to small irrigation systems for the project “Affordable Perovskite Solar Irrigation Systems for Small-holder Farmers in Ethiopia (APSISSFE)". The research is aimed to achieve the following objectives:
- Study the surface chemical, structural and electronic changes induced by chemically altering the surfaces with two dimensional perovskite structures and other additives such as potassium halides.
- Understand how the interfaces perform under operation by depositing ultra-thin interlayer’s, enabling in-situ surface measurements, allowing dynamic feedback to the specific treatment.
- Determine system specifications to optimize for local climate conditions, so that the highest possible efficiency can be achieved at the lowest possible price.
- Design and implement the solar system to withstand Ethiopian environmental and climatic conditions, including co-design and iterative testing with small-holder farmers.
- Optimize the processing so that it is compatible with local manufacturing, and ensure that potential end-of-life concerns about new products and processes are addressed responsibly through life cycle analyses.
- MSc. Degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering (Preferably Electrical Power Engineering or Microelectronics Engineering), Material Science and Engineering, Applied Physics or Photonics, and other related fields from a recognized institution.
- Should fulfill the graduate admission criteria of Bahir Dar University.
- Fluent command of written and spoken English.
- Clear professional objectives expressed in a statement of purpose
- At least 2 year of relevant professional experience
Required Documents for Submission
- Copies of academic transcripts and diplomas
- Two letters of recommendations from former professors and/or employers
- Statement of purpose (a maximum of two pages that show why the applicant wants to pursue the PhD program and how his/her academic interests and professional experiences related to this field of study and his/her professional goals).
- Concept note, maximum of three pages that describing applicant’s research methodology to the research objectives.
- Letter of support for those employed by organizations in accordance with Bahir Dar University graduate admission policy.
- Publications if any.
- Receipt for application fee
Office of Submission
Applicant should submit the complete application documents to Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Bahir Dar Institute of Technology, P.O.Box, 26, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
- 17 June, 2020—Applications due
- 22 June, 2020—Interview with potential candidates after prescreening
- 30 June, 2020—Finalist listed
For additional information, please contact us using the following email addresses