Temesgen Enku Nigussie, PhD
Message from the dean
My warm Greetings!
I am delighted to welcome you to the Faculty of Civil and Water Resources Engineering (FCWRE), Bahir Dar institute of Technology, Bahir Dar University. Bahir Dar University is one of the oldest and the largest universities in Ethiopia. Currently the Faculty of Civil & Water Resources Engineering is running in two under graduate and ten post graduate programs in regular, summer and extension platforms. The under graduate programs are: Civil Engineering and Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering which run in three platforms (regular, summer, and extension). We also provide eight specializations in Master of Engineering program all run in regular and summer platform, these are:
• Geotechnical Engineering
• Road & Transport Engineering
• Structural Engineering
• Construction Technology & Management
• Hydraulic Engineering
• Water supply & Sanitary Engineering
• Irrigation Engineering & Management
The two PhD programs we have are: Water Resources Engineering & Management and Construction Engineering & Management.
Our faculty provides a high quality education and equips students with the skills and sense of responsibility that assist them in pursuing a successful professional life. Our students are provided with numerous opportunities for experiential learning such as group projects, laboratory experiments, field visits, and internships. The faculty has many international research collaborations with USA, Europe, Asian, and African Universities. We are working hard for the international accreditations of our Civil Engineering program through US based ABET system.
The FCWRE of Bahir Dar University is located at the capital of the Amhara Regional State (Bahir Dar) at the shore of Lake Tana (the largest fresh Lake in Ethiopia and the source of Blue Nile). This provides immense opportunity for research and collaborations. As Public University, Bahir Dar University offers numerous opportunities to education, research, and community services
In 2019, a total of about 3100 students are enrolled under our faculty, of whom 2110 are under graduate and the rest 990 are post graduate students. The FCWRE has about 170 academic staff, research assistants and laboratory technicians. More than 20 staffs hold Assistant professor and above positions and more than 50 are professionally certified engineers.
My duty as a dean is to facilitate and support the staff and students of the faculty for their success in education and research. . I indeed thank you for visiting our Webpage.
Terms of office: The term of Faculty Dean shall be two years with possible extension for one more term. The Scientific Director will decide if he/she would like to extend the appointment for a second term.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Developing & articulating the mission, vision, and objectives of the Faculty in consultationwith chairs and in agreement with BiT strategic plan
• Formulating the faculty’s strategic and annual plans and submitting the plan for Scientific Director of BiT;
• Communicating and inculcating the faculty’s strategy, vision, mission and objective to facultymembers, and internal and external stakeholders;
• Develop, together with the faculty Chairs, Academic program officer and Academic Council, core process performance standards, procedures and guidelines;
• Developing better work systems, environment and incentive system so as to improve the motivation, efficiency and effectiveness of staff;
• Establish and maintain bilateral and multilateral partnerships with international and local bodies;
• Represent and advocate his faculty in internal and external affairs, in external intellectual and social affairs and events; attend and speak on behalf of his/her faculty on annual process and BiT meetings;
• Ensure the provision of resources, facilities, training and education needed for the faculty’s staff;
• Ensure that budget for scholarship related costs such as airfare are allocated in their annual plans.
• Ensure the delivery of adequate, continuous and relevant staff development, training and education programs in collaboration with international partners, university leadership and others;
• Implement continuous quality management and process improvement initiatives;
• Develop appropriate staff development programs in line with the target performance goals of the faculty’s core processes;
• Conduct periodic and continuous impact assessment and evaluation on the performance of the faculty’s core processes;
• Benchmark local and foreign best practices in areas related to the faculty’s services and deliverables and process;
• Undertake any other related tasks given by the scientific director/deputy scientific director.